Friday 10 July 2015

My whole family has MTHFR

Since we've been on this MTHFR discovery, my whole family has also been tested for it, and they are ALL positive. Every single member of my direct family has homozygous C677, and my husband has compound heterozygous C677T and A1298C.

My husbands nephew has autism, and his uncle has Parkinson's, but they have not been tested.

My sister has had one miscarriage and one live birth. Her successful pregnancy was before she knew she had MTHFR, interestingly, she said she felt sick when taking multivitamins with folic acid in, so she didn't take them. For some strange reason, at the time of the pregnancy, she had started drinking smoothies with kale in them. I wonder if that is why it was a success? She also has her own vegetable garden and was eating vegetables from it.

Both my parents have started taking 5-methylfolate, and there have been some interesting developments. Most significant being my mother's Pompholyx which is a common type of eczema  affecting the hands. She's been in agony with it for years, and previously found nothing that can fix it. On taking the methylfolate it's gone away completely and she's over the moon. She also has lost the pain that was in her joints, and feels she's loosing weight. 

Interestingly, the methylfolate has caused my father gout. It's directly related, the more folate he takes the worse the gout gets. When he stops taking folate the gout goes away. We're not really sure what's happening. 

We are trying to get the others to take the folate, but they aren't really taking it seriously. 

Anyway, thought you might find some of that interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment